Thursday, August 19, 2010

Teacher educators go back to the classroom!

Not just teacher educators, and not permanently, but just to reconnect with the realities of what your students face--so advises a teacher educator from Towson University, Shaun Johnson, in his blog today. He overcame the obstacles of schedules, certifications, etc. by teaching a summer term in a charter school. Some excerpts:  "First, and this will be my strongest opinion of all: Teacher educators and education professors are not worth their salt if they do not return to the classroom with some regularity during their tenure. I plan to do so every summer that I can....So, I stand by my new rule: if you’re going to tell young people how to teach, then do it yourself. The opportunities are out there...I think I’m a much better professor and a much better teacher as a result. All I needed was a little jolt to both my intellectual and professional identities to give me new purchase on the teaching of teachers....Now that I had a brief return to elementary teaching this summer, I challenge both education professors and those in other disciplines to do the same."
What are your thoughts on this??

No comments: